Old Fashioned Potato Candy is a delicious three ingredient sweet treat you can make with left over mashed potatoes or simply by boiling a cubed up small potato. This fudge like candy is delightful!
Hi folks, just brushing up on some of my old fashioned recipes and keeping it delicious. If you’re like me, you love recipes that bring back fond memories from grandparents and parents alike. This recipe is just that. It’s a diehard hand-me-down recipe that every peanut butter lover enjoys.
All you need is a cooked potato, powdered sugar and peanut butter. If you have a cup of mashed potatoes hanging out in the fridge, you can use that. Otherwise, you’ll need a small, peeled potato. Simply boil it until soft.
Blend the potato with one pound of powdered sugar.
It’ll look really soupy and that’s a good indicator for the rest of the powdered sugar, as it takes at least two pounds to get the mixture to turn into a dough. You want it to have the consistency of very stiff mashed potatoes, so keep adding powdered sugar until it is.
Once you get the dough to the consistency of stiff mashed potatoes, place it on a surface that’s heavily dusted with powdered sugar. Press the dough down with your hands and dust the top with more powdered sugar. Roll the dough out with a rolling pen. Then you’ll spread warmed peanut butter all over the top, leaving about a half inch from the edge clear.
Now, here’s where I did mess up a little but do as I say, not as I do. LOL
You’ll want to have a piece of parchment paper laid out and dusted with plenty of the powdered sugar. Roll the dough into a jelly roll fashion and place the roll with the open side to the bottom to keep it in shape. Place the roll in the refrigerator for a couple of hours until it stiffens enough to cut.
I recommend keeping the sliced potato candy in the refrigerator and covered when not eating it, as it can get dried out very easily. Keeping it cold will make it less sticky as well.
And there you have it folks, good old fashioned potato candy. Simple enough, huh?
I know me and my friend enjoyed the heck out of this one. I think you will too! Make it a great day and as always, keep it delicious!
Till next time ~ much love, Connie
- 1 cup potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 pounds powdered sugar, plus more if needed
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Use a hand mixer to mix one pound of the powdered sugar into the mashed potatoes, in a large bowl.
- Once the mixture is soupy, add the rest of the powdered sugar plus more if needed to get a dough like consistency.
- Roll the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper that has been heavily dusted with powdered sugar.
- Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds to thin it.
- Spread the peanut butter over the dough, leaving about a half inch from the edge.
- Roll the dough into a jelly roll, and place the seam side down.
- Place in the refrigerator until the dough has stiffened enough to slice.
- Slice into bite size portions and keep refrigerated and covered with plastic until ready to eat.
Recipe by: Connie Murray @Happybellyfoodie.com