Szechuan BBQ Sauce is a fantastic twist on one of your favorite condiments. Featuring Chinese five spice as a flavor profile, you can liven up any dish.
Okay, let’s revamp the ol’ BBQ sauce with a Szechuanian (I made that word up) twist. Think light heat, flavors alive, sweet n zesty, and a true wake-up call for your senses. I absolutely love this sauce!
Served over some smokey pulled pork sandwiches, topped with Bok Choy Slaw, Delish! The Chinese five spice in this recipe will perfume your whole kitchen with a delightful warmth.
True yums right there! ~ much love, Connie
Szechuan BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 C minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 tbsp szechuan chili sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/3 C tomato sauce
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sherry
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the canola oil on medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, chili sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, Chinese five-spice powder, tomato sauce, honey, and molasses. Cook until slightly reduced. Add the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sherry. Simmer on low for approximately 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water. Turn the heat up to med/hi and add cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Variation: If you want a thinner sauce, omit the cornstarch mixture.