Want a sweet vegan treat that you can jive about? How bout a guiltless, pumpkin ice cream sandwich? I don’t know about you but I’m in! Ginger Snap Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches!
These fabulous frozen desserts have no gluten, no refined sugar, no dairy and best of all.. they taste wonderful! This week at Happy Belly Foodie, we’re trying out some of the best alternative desserts we could find.
What’s the secret to a dairy free ice cream? Well, for this pumpkin spiced delight, it’s bananas. Frozen bananas.
- For another great dairy free ice cream, check out Coconut Ice Cream and toppings ~ Dairy Free, Gluten Free Grand Finale!.
About 4-5 nice and ripe bananas will do. Just chop them up and pop them in the freezer until they’re good and frozen. You don’t need an ice cream maker for this recipe and there’s no cooking involved. A good blender, some dates for added sweetmess and a few spices are all you need.
While you’re waiting for the bananas to freeze, go ahead and make those jivin’ ginger snap cookies.
For the cookies, you’ll sift together some flour (gluten free all purpose) and coconut sugar.
Add to that, some ground cloves, ground golden flax, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and guar gum. By the way, if you’re just beginning to make gluten free recipes, you’ll see guar gum a lot. It basically helps with structure since you’re skipping the gluten.
For the wet ingredients, you’ll need coconut oil, cooked pumpkin or squash puree, molasses and freshly grated ginger.
After you combine all the ingredients, place the dough in the refrigerator to firm it up. Then place it between two sheets of parchment paper and gently roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out the cookies with a cookie cutter and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes in a 350 degree F. oven.
To finish the ice cream, soak 4-5 pitted dates in a half cup of water for a few minutes. Blend them in a food processor with the water into a fine puree.
Add some ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves, all spice and vanilla powder (or extract).
Finally, add the frozen bananas and blend until smooth.
Taste for seasoning adjustments and place in the freezer until firm enough to scoop onto the cookies.
The cookies are terrific alone but add some of that ice cream and they become a delightful sweet, pumpkin spiced treat.
Be sure to save some of the cookies for another great treat we’ll be trying out this week. They make a fabulous crust for pie!
If you have some diet restrictions, there’s no need to do without friends. Where there’s a will, there is a way, I say!
Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free or just changing things up a bit, these jivin’ frozen treats are fabulous for dessert or a sweet snack. I do hope you’ll give them a try. Let me know how you liked them. If you’ve got a request for an alternative recipe, catch up with me. You know where to find me.
Make it an awesome week and as always, keep it delicious!
Till next time ~ much love, Connie
- Ginger Snaps:
- 2 1/3 C gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 C coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp ground golden flax
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 C extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree (or squash)
- Pumpkin Ice Cream:
- 3-4 bananas, cut up and frozen
- 3-5 pitted dates, soaked in 1/2 C water
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or extract)
- Ginger Snap Cookies:
- Combine all dry ingredients and sift. Add the sifted ingredients and wet ingredients to a large bowl and mix until a smooth dough is formed. Chill the dough for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut cookies out with a cookie cutter and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes and allow to cool before serving.
- Pumpkin Ice Cream:
- Place the dates in a food processor along with the soaking water. Puree.
- Add the spices and blend.
- Add the frozen bananas and process until smooth.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer and allow to firm.
- Assemble the ice cream sandwiches by placing a scoop of ice cream between two of the cookies.
Recipe by: Connie Murray @Happybellyfoodie.com