Sauteed baby artichokes are one of my favorite side dishes. Artichokes are a true springtime delight, especially those tender baby ones. They’re delicious, light, fresh, and a simply beautiful compliment to any meal. Don’t let the tough exterior of artichokes make you turn your nose. These babies are fantastic! A little bit of work, yes but well worth it.
Sauteed Baby Artichokes
- 4 C cold water for soaking
- 2 lemons
- baby artichokes 20-25
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp thyme finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Squeeze lemon juice from both lemons into bowl filled with the cold water. Trim artichokes of outer leaves and chop off the tough tip. Soak trimmed artichokes in lemon water after trimming each one to keep them from turning brown.
- Place a large shallow skillet on med/hi heat. Add olive oil and garlic. Cook for one minute then add drained artichokes. Cook artichokes for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cayenne pepper, wine, 1/2 cup water, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until liquid is reduced to about half. Serve with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Recipe by: Connie Murray @ happybellyfoodie.com